The Healing Power of RAW FOODS
How Raw Foods Heal & Revitalize the Body
Are you including enough raw foods in your diet? Is your diet all or mostly cooked foods? Have you heard anything about the benefits of living foods? Wish you had an article or two you could send to your family and friends about raw foods and why you're emphasizing these kinds of foods in your diet? Want an easy way to heal and reinvigorate your body and reverse aging in record-breaking time? If you have answered "YES" to any of these questions, you've come to the right place.
To Learn About My Favorite All-Raw, Multi-Vitamin/Mineral Superfood Supplement I Highly Recommend to You, Your Family & Pets, please click HERE.
As I write about in the raw-foods chapter of my book, THE JOY FACTOR: 10 Sacred Practices for Radiant Health, it’s hard to celebrate life when we’re burdened with aches and pains, lethargy, obesity, heart disease, cancer, and other prevalent diseases and ailments of our society. In my decades of work as a wellness educator and holistic lifestyle coach, I've seen thousands of people markedly improve their health and thus enrich their lives through simple dietary changes. My approach to healthful eating is a diet of whole foods, as close as possible to the way Mother Nature has created them. It is this type of diet that restores harmony to the body, mind, and spirit, and replenishes our life force. In order to bring a sacred balance into our lives, we must choose foods that not only nourish all the cells of our body, but also feed our souls.
Three of the most incredible and miraculous things about our physical bodies are that they are self-healing, self-purifying, and self-maintaining, if we simply fuel them with the living foods they were designed to use by the Creator. Throughout my website and all of my books mentioned below go into the specifics of creating the optimum nutrition program and contain loads of recipes that are as easy to make as they are delicious and healthy. Therefore, I will not provide any recipes now but instead will talk about a few specifics of of the healing benefits of adding more raw foods to your diet. While you may not want to go all raw, simply incorporating a wider variety of these living foods will definitely enhance your health and vitality. Living foods nourish, cleanse, and alkalinize (changes the pH of the blood like adding in alkaline water from the Ionizer Plus device that I use and recommend) the body. They do this through the combined action of their nutritional components: vitamins, minerals, amino acids, liquids, complex carbohydrates, fiber, and especially oxygen and enzymes.
The heart of any living-food diet is fresh fruits and vegetables, and fresh SPROUTS that you can grow easily and quickly at home. Living foods are raw foods not heated above 118 degrees. Driven by mounting scientific evidence, all the national health organizations, such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH), have revised their dietary advice by putting a rainbow of fruits and vegetables front and center, where they belong. Fruits and vegetable are low in calories and high in nutrients, ideal foods for healing, vitality, and weight loss. Nature has color-coded them. A simple way to assure you’re getting a healthy variety of nutrients is to enjoy a panoply of colorful foods.
When you look to Nature’s treasure chest of foods, especially produce such as fresh fruits and vegetables, you notice a panoply of colors. Much of the nutritional value in the foods we eat comes from the colors of the food that are teeming with phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes, In fact, quite often the colorful skin of the produce is what provides the most nutritional value—the most bang for your buck.
Rawsome: Why Raw Foods Are So Good For You
My grandmother taught me about the healing power and salutary benefits of raw foods when I was a teenager. Since then, I have emphasized these foods in my diet. Sometimes I go completely raw and other days a majority of my diet is from living foods. But I would never eat all cooked foods and I don't recommend it for you either, if health and vitality are your goals. Here are the top three things that are sapping your energy and compromising your health.
- DEHYDRATION: The planet is about 70% water, our body is 70% water, and our cells are the same. I think your food choices should mirror this as well. A great way to get a head start on becoming hydrated is to consume food that has not had the natural water removed from it through cooking. Cooked food does nothing to provide your body with much-needed water and dehydrates you further in your body’s attempt to digest it. Everything you put in your stomach needs to be turned into liquid to be digested. How easily is your current diet liquefied?
- MALNUTRITION: Recent data shows that nutritional deficiencies are most often caused by what we eat rather than by what we do not eat. Your current diet may be robbing your body of precious vitamins and minerals. A well-balanced diet of consciously prepared raw food contains essential vitamins and minerals, while food prepared using conventional methods (like baking, frying, broiling, grilling, etc.) destroys over 80% of that food’s nutrition. Can you afford 80% less nutrition than is naturally found in your food?
- LACK OF ENZYMES: Enzymes are responsible for every metabolic process that takes place in your body from digestion to healing. Most prepared food is serves up with 100% of the natural enzymes destroyed by heat. 100%! When the lipase and amylase enzymes are destroyed, the body cannot digest fats or carbohydrates efficiently and they are stored in the body causing weight gain.
When you consume living, enzyme-rich food, it practically digests itself. This leaves you with a surplus of energy to play harder, work more efficiently, and do more of what you love!
More Reasons To Enjoy Raw Foods
In case you are not yet convinced, here are even more reasons to add extra raw foods into your diet.
- Raw plant foods contain numerous phytochemicals, which are nutrients that serve as antioxidants and modulators of the body’s defense mechanisms.
- Raw foods are also a valuable source of available electrons, and help prevent physiological damage from free radicals.
- Bacteria are another precious ingredient in raw foods. Ironically, it is because of bacteria that many people think they have to cook their food! But when you cook to kill the potentially harmful bacteria, you also destroy the friendly bacteria necessary for optimum health. A lack of “good” bacteria can result in yeast infections, intestinal disorders and other symptoms associated with weakened body defenses. Eating cooked food, especially cooked meat and dairy (which Americans and other people tend to overeat), can cause putrefactive bacteria to proliferate and eventually dominate and replace the natural population of beneficial intestinal flora. This causes colon dysfunction and allows for the absorption of toxins from the bowel.
- Raw foods are also rich in oxygen. Heat reduces the oxygen found in fresh food, oxygen we need to resist disease. Cancer cells and AIDS viruses thrive in blood low in oxygen.
- Chlorophyll is what gives plants their green color. It has been likened to the “blood” of the plant. The chlorophyll molecule is almost identical to the hemoglobin molecule, which is the oxygen carrier in human blood. When you eat plants in their living, unheated state, the chlorophyll actually feeds oxygen to your body. Cooked food does not contain this organic type of oxygen.
- Raw foods also contain biophotons. In 1982, German physicist and Nobel Prize winner Fritz Popp, Ph.D., and his colleagues proved the presence of biophotons, biologically produced units of light, in vegetables. Biophoton emission can be thought of as a kind of biological laser light with a very high degree of coherence, capable of transmitting information, which ordinary incoherent light cannot achieve. Cooking destroys nearly 100% of the biophotons. Adding chemicals, processing, preserving and irradiating all endanger the biophotonic force of foods.
- Fresh, sun-ripened, organic food eaten straight from a vine, tree or stalk or the ground contains the greatest number of biophotons. Wild foods were found to emit twice (2x) as many biophotons as cultivated organic foods. Organic foods emit five times (5x) as many biophotons as commercially grown foods. Cooked or irradiated foods emit almost no biophotons.
- Raw foods are also richer in vitamins. Viktoras Kulvinskas, co-founder of the Hippocrates Health Institute, studied numerous scientific journals and compiled a list showing the destruction of nutrients from cooking, in his classic book, Survival into the 21st Century. As disclosed in his book, he discovered, for example, that about 45-55% of B vitamins are lost in heated foods, as well as 70-80% of vitamin C and 50% of vitamin E. “Cooking does not improve the nutritional value of food,” he writes, “It destroys or makes unavailable 85% of the original nutrients.”
Need More Motivation To Enjoy Raw Foods?
A diet rich in raw foods is an important component of physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health. Raw foods that are not heated over 118° F contain the enzymes needed to digest them, whereas the heating process destroys many of the enzymes inherent in foods. Enzymes are catalysts, the spark plugs of life. They are protein molecules that facilitate chemical reactions in virtually every cell, organ and system in our bodies, from digestion to elimination.
When you eat cooked food, you force your pancreas to crank out digestive enzymes to make up for those lacking in the food. By age 40, the average person has only 30% of his digestive enzyme production potential left. This a major reason for the increasing tiredness that may come with age. According to Edward Howell, MD., who spent a lifetime researching enzymes, “It is shown that when the enzyme potential is exhausted beyond a particular point, it triggers the end of the lifespan.” In other words, by incorporating more raw foods into your diet, you may extend your life. You will also have more energy freed up: Energy no longer needed for digestion may be available to facilitate spiritual awakening, renewed creativity and mental alertness, along with enhanced optimism, meditation, focus and concentration.
In my two books THE JOY FACTOR: 10 Sacred Practices for Radiant Health (foreword by Wayne Dyer) and WALKING ON AIR: Your 30-day Inside and Out Rejuvenation Makeover (foreword by Alexandra Stoddard), you will find lots of holistic health information, including an entire chapter in each book on how consuming more raw foods will benefit your body inside out, head to toe. For more than 30 years, I've been a culinary instructor and have a great passion for creating scrumptious, health-promoting recipes. So these following books I wrote include a variety of delicious, easy-to-prepare raw-food recipes: Health Bliss, The Healing Power of NatureFoods, Be Healthy-Stay Balanced, and Recipes for Health Bliss.
You can purchase all of these above books — and each one comes with an autographed card from me upon request and make terrific gifts, too — and also receive a bonus gift with each purchase of one of my Natural Remedy, CD combo booklets when you call to order at...
800-523-9971 (US & Canada) or 215-632-6100 (Intl), both ET, M - F • 9 - 5
Nature's Most Nutrient-Rich Raw Food
There's a superfood that I consume daily and would never be without. It's all-raw, energizing, alkalizing, and the most nutrient-rich superfood on our planet. To learn about this superfood and to get a 25% discount with your purchase using the code REVITALIZE, please click HERE.
Connecting with the Light of your being, as I write about in detail in THE JOY FACTOR, Just like conscious eating and spiritual nutrition, is not some far-off goal to be reached someday. In fact, it is not the goal at all, but merely the starting point of a wonderful journey toward your highest spiritual goals. What’s important to realize is that you start the minute you adopt a more living-foods diet. It may seem like a big effort, but as you go along your life will feel less encumbered, not more. In this book, you'll learn about all the ways that raw foods foster a richer spiritual life as well as a strong, robust, youthful and reinvigorated body... no matter your age.
Start Today and Add More Raw Foods Into Your Diet & You'll See and Feel The Difference!
Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.
Vegetarianism preserves live, health, peace, the ecology, creates a more equitable distribution of resources, helps to feed the hungry, encourages nonviolence for the animal and human members of the planet, and is a powerful aid for the spiritual transformation of the body, emotions, mind, and spirit