Naturally Youthful & Glowing Skin…at Any Age: 12 Surefire Secrets to Radiance
If you would like to listen to the audio broadcast of this interview, click HERE.
Wish you could look years younger in only two months and have skin that glows with vitality no matter your age? You can achieve this goal and it doesn’t involve needles or surgery or even a visit to your dermatologist. Here are 12 essential tips guaranteed to foster youthful, illuminating skin, including information on Squatty Potty and the #1 skin-enhancing supplements revered worldwide—Hawaiian Astaxanthin & Spirulina. To get both Hawaiian supplements at 25% off for a limited time with the code VIBRANT (details below in #4), contact 1-800-453-1187 HST.
Your skin will be the first to give away your deep, dark secrets. If you’ve been neglecting your health and have been under extra tension and pressure, if you haven’t been able to sleep well because of worries, your skin will let the world know.
The skin is the largest single organ of the body and comes in many colors, textures and patterns. “Imagine a material that is water-proof, like tarpaulin, yet can let out water and oil; that can protect like a suit of armor, and yet is infinitely sensitive to touch; that remains firm yet is more flexible than rubber. It is also a beautiful material—whether pink and white, brown, black or yellow.” (The Joy of Life by Elliot M. Goldway, PhD)
Weighing in at about six pounds, the skin is about one-eighth of an inch thick, varying at different areas of the body. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, for all we ever see of one another—the skin surfaces and hair—is dead. The skin is continually growing from within, creating new cells that push their way outward. Yet the skin, perhaps more than any other part of the body, tells the world how we feel mentally and physically, as well as how we care for and respect our bodies. American Indians used to diagnose body ailments by the lines in the face.
The face is certainly the one area on the body which is terrible at keeping secrets. If you’re run down and lack pep, work too hard, stay up late at night, are depressed, or are feeling downright crummy, it will show in your face.
Below you will learn more about the physiology of the skin, get an understanding of how miraculous is your skin, and find out my 12 surefire tips to have glowing skin at any age — whether female or male. If you continue reading, you will also learn about the best, made-by-nature, nutritional supplement that everyone should be taking daily as internal sun protection and also to reverse aging, as demonstrated in scientific studies.
The World Within — Three Distinct Layers
The outermost layer, the epidermis, is paper-thin and consists of 20 layers of cells that are literally “born to die.” The surface is formed of lifeless cells that are being shed slowly, almost imperceptibly. But in their last stages of existence, they continue to perform valuable services.
Epidermal cells are created through cells dividing in the lowest layer (basal cell layer) and gradually rise to the surface where they assume a short-lived protective function.
Keratin, the name given to the final stage of this cell development, serves as a barrier to physical and chemical injury. It also provides the protective covering membrane that preserves the body’s internal balance, by preventing moisture and other essential material from seeping uncontrollably into the environment.
The second layer is the dermis, made up of connective tissue. It is on this level that skin health is established. The dermis provides the skin with strength and elasticity. It is here where “aging skin” begins its degenerative process, (where the free radicals wreak havoc), by the gradual reduction in connective tissue fibers. These changes are perceived as wrinkling from the outside. The dermis also contains blood vessels, lymph channels, nerve fibers, and muscle cells.
The third layer is the subcutaneous fat, which provides cushioning and contouring all over the body.
We hear a lot about the words elastin and collagen when it comes to topicals on the skin. Well, the dermis layer relies on the collagen, which is a protein, to keep it in mint condition by acting as a supporter and major building block of the skin. Elastin, also a protein, along with collagen, gives the skin its supple elastic qualities.
Functions of the Skin
Your skin covers your muscles, nerves, tissues, and bones. It protects your body from invading bacteria, chemicals, and foreign objects. It absorbs the shock of physical blows. It acts as a thermostat: When the body needs to lose heat, the blood vessels dilate and sweat glands secrete moisture, which, as it evaporates, cools the body; when it needs to conserve heat, the blood vessels constrict and pores close.
Two million pores cover our body’s surface and function as an efficient cooling system. Any exercise can raise internal temperatures to seven degrees above normal. The body dissipates that excess heat through perspiration, which evaporates on the skin.
Besides cooling and protecting the body, the skin also serves as a sense organ. The fetus probably receives most sensations through the skin before birth. From the moment of birth, humans require touching and physical affection as much as food.
Yet, what is so amazing to me is that no two people on earth have identical skin formation—not even twins—as is demonstrated in the use of fingerprinting. What’s more, the fingerprints of the right hand even differ from those on the left hand.
For the past 30 years, I have extensively studied the subjects of skin and how to have radiant looking skin no matter your age. I’ve narrowed it down to the following key ingredients that I’ve incorporated into my life for years. I’m sure these are the reasons why I’m often told I look years younger than my chronological age. During my radio and TV talk show appearances, I'm often asked what I do to have such healthy, glowing skin. The following highlights some of my best tips.
Twelve Key Ingredients for Radiant Skin
1. FORTIFY WITH HAWAIIAN ASTAXANTHIN & HAWAIIAN SPIRULINA. These are my two favorite nutritional supplements for glowing, vibrant skin… no matter your age.Let’s start with Hawaiian Astaxanthin, which, among other things, works as an internal sunscreen. When Bob Capelli, Vice President of Cyanotech, and his research team gave 4 mg to human volunteers for 2 weeks, they found that the subjects could stay in the sun longer without getting burned. It will not eliminate the risk of sunburn in everyone because there are many individual factors involved; but it can radically reduce your risk of developing severe sunburn and related skin damage. Getting sunburned not only causes photoaging, it can also cause skin cancers. So you should always take care not to get burned. Capelli recommends taking 4 mg of astaxanthin per day. It takes several weeks for the dose to build up to achieve UV protection, and to help improve your skin’s overall moisture balance and elasticity. I take 12 mg daily and recommend that everyone get at least a 3-month supply. You will marvel at the positive changes in your skin after three months on Hawaiian BioAstin Astaxanthin.
We lose 40,000 skin cells every minute and it takes 2 months (8 weeks) to renew all of the skin that you see on your body. These new skin cells are made in the dermis layer of the skin, which is really the engine room of the skin. It is critical that we protect this level because it’s where the collagen fibers are, as mentioned previously. And this is where the fiber elastin bundles are located, too. This is the connective tissue. In other words, this is the whole support system for the skin. This is where astaxanthin tends to concentrate, as well. When you take a natural supplement of Hawaiian BioAstin Astaxanthin, it will absorb the free radicals in the layers of your skin. Keep in mind that ultraviolet-B rays create a tremendous amount of free radicals in the skin. But with this antioxidant astaxanthin, known as the “King of Antioxidants,” you can neutralize and mop up the free radicals before they can knock out these supporting structures of your skin.
And that’s one of the many reasons why I take and highly recommend astaxanthin as the premier antioxidant, overall wellness enhancer, and skin-beautifying supplement. Asian ladies take it because of its benefits for the skin. The astaxanthin will capture these free radicals before they hit the collagen. When you keep your elastin and collagen healthy, you prevent and reduce wrinkles, according to the studies. This is a great side benefits of astaxanthin that women in Asia already know about. They take astaxanthin every day! By the way, Hawaiian Astaxanthin also benefits human health in many other ways, including the following: LDL cholesterol oxidation suppression, immunomodulation (boosts immunity), reduces stress, limits diabetic nephropathy, improves semen quality, reduces eye fatigue, improves vision, benefits mental health, enhances sport performance and endurance, limits exercise induced muscle damage, lowers blood pressure, and so much more.
In one impressive skin study, astaxanthin proved to be immensely beneficial. In Rockland, Maine, 49 healthy, middle-aged women were divided into a test group and a placebo control group. The test lasted for six weeks and measurements were taken at three points: at the beginning of the study, after three weeks, and after six weeks. All tests were performed using a single-blind procedure. The dietary supplement containing astaxanthin was comprised of Haematococcus pluvialis microalgae extract (the one I take and recommend from Hawaii) and canola oil as soft gel capsules. Each capsule contained 2 mg of Astaxanthin. The placebo capsules for control were prepared with only canola oil in soft capsules.
The team used four measurement parameters:
- Questionnaire: Skin dryness, moisture content, roughness, elasticity and fine lines/wrinkles were recorded using a Yes/No questionnaire at week 6.
- Inspection/Palpation by a dermatologist: Skin dryness, fine lines/wrinkles and elasticity were performed by the dermatologist.
- Skin moisture content: Corneous moisture content (electrical conduction MS) of the left cheek was measured using the Dermal Phase Meter 9003 (Nova meter).
- Elasticity: Elasticity levels of the left side outer corner of the eye were measured using the Dermalab (Cortex Technology, Denmark).
Here are the results after only six weeks on astaxanthin (and I have seen some of the “before” and “after” photos, too, which were very impressive). While positive changes were demonstrated in the skin at week three in all of the measurement parameters, the researchers found the most significant improvements in fine lines/wrinkles and elasticity by dermatologist’s visual assessment and in the moisture content at week six. They found that astaxanthin protects the fresh collagen from oxidative stress such as singlet oxygen induced by UV. Additionally, they concluded that the oral administration of a dietary supplement containing astaxanthin, despite the harsh environmental condition of winter (in Maine) has excellent cosmetic effects on human skin. This was in only six weeks of use. Think about how much healthier, radiant and illuminating your skin will be after 90 days. Again I recommend 12 mg daily, what I take of Hawaiian BioAstin Astaxanthin, known to be the purest, safest, and most potent source. It is grown on the Kona Coast of Hawaii. You can see aerial views of the massive ponds of Hawaiian Astaxanthin on my website — HERE.
Hawaiian Spirulina: This microalgae is a treasure-trove of nutrients, and is my favorite multi-supplement that I take daily — 3,000 mg. So what are the nutritional benefits of spirulina and why do I recommend it as the ideal food for you and your entire family, including your pets. First of all, it’s rich in protein — and a highly digestible protein, to boot. It's 60% protein and contains every essential amino acid. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. It contains more beta-carotene than any other whole food; it’s the best whole food source of gamma linolenic acid (GLA); it is rich in B vitamins, minerals trace elements, chlorophyll, enzymes, and phytochemicals. Phytochemicals are plant substances with high levels of antioxidants such as zeaxanthin. What’s more, it is abundant in other valuable nutrients about which scientists are learning more each year, such as carotenoids, sulfolipids, glycolipids, phycocyanin, superoxide dismutase (SOD), RNA and DNA. And there’s another reason that you and everyone in your family should take spirulina every day.
Did you know that Hawaiian Spirulina may support healthy blood sugar, too? Several studies support anti-diabetic and anti-inflammatory activity of this superfood. In contrast, processed foods RAISE blood sugar and cholesterol levels. If you combined prescribed diabetic medicine, with the recommended 3,000 mg of Hawaiian Spirulina daily, please monitor glucose levels routinely because this combination works!
Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica supplies nutrients that are lacking in most of our diets. The studies show how it benefits everyone. It provides athletes with long-lasting energy and reduces recovery time; it nourishes people who have issues with digestion, assimilation, and elimination; it helps busy people who don’t have time for regular, balanced meals to nourish themselves; it satisfies the appetite as it provides essential nutrients to weight watchers; it enables children and others who don’t like vegetables to eat their greens by taking a few tablets; and it gives peace of mind that the body is receiving the full range of nutrients needed for optimal health from a whole food that's made by nature. It can’t get any better than that.
With all nutrient-dense foods that I recommend, I like to compare them to other foods. Gram-per-gram, Hawaiian Spirulina (which contains the highest nutrient levels of any spirulina) shows how powerfully nutritious it is.
Results from independent third party lab tests confirm that Hawaiian Spirulina has…
- 180% more calcium than whole milk (calcium supports bones, teeth, muscles, hormones, nerve function, PMS, and high blood pressure)
- 5100% more iron than spinach (iron supports energy and blood health)
- 3100% more beta-carotene than carrots (beta-carotene supports eyes, immune function, antioxidant activity)
- 670% more protein than tofu (protein supports muscle tissue and skin)
- Three grams (3,000 mg) of Hawaiian Spirulina have more antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity than five servings of fruits and vegetables
- Comparing phytonutrient levels, spirulina is 31 times more potent than blueberries, 60 times more potent than spinach, and 700 times more potent than apples.
Please refer HERE for detailed information on both Hawaiian Astaxanthin and Hawaiian Spirulina. You can also get a 25% discount for a limited time on your order of either or both products when you call the company to order and use the code: VIBRANT. I encourage you to purchase at least a 3-month supply of each one. If you can afford it, with this tremendous discount, do what I did and get a year’s supply of each one for you and your family. Everyone will benefit. Their telephones number for more info, or to order, are: 1-800-453-1187 (US & Canada) • 808-329-4677 (Intl), both Hawaiian Time. They are also giving away a free copy of my popular, 95-page, full color e-Book entitled The Curative Kitchen with each purchase of either or both products.
2. SAY GOODBYE TO CONSTIPATION. Chronic constipation will preclude you from having beautiful, healthy skin. If you want that youthful glow to your skin, make sure your have regular, daily bowel movements and keep your body detoxified. In Ayurvedic and Chinese medical traditions, one of the first things that practitioners want to know is whether a patient is having regular bowel movements, urination and sweating. This is important because these processes are the body's ways of eliminating toxins. Once toxins have been released into the blood and neutralized by the liver, they must be eliminated safely from the body, otherwise they may become reabsorbed.
The bowel is the body's main elimination organ, yet amongst many Americans today, this central elimination system is compromised, as evidenced by high rates of constipation. The National Institutes of Health estimates that more than 4 million Americans have constipation, defined as having a bowel movement less than three times per week. Yet, when you consider that some experts (myself included) believe that it is normal for the body to eliminate after each meal (three times a day), the prevalence of constipation may be much higher.
Constipation can be caused by a number of factors, many of which are related to our modern diet and lifestyle:
- Diets low in fiber: The bulk and soft texture of fiber help prevent hard, dry stools that are difficult to pass. Most Americans eat too few fruits, vegetables and whole grains, and too many processed/refined foods from which the fiber has been removed. The average American consumes only 5 to 14 grams of fiber daily, which is far short of the 20 to 35 grams recommended by the American Dietetic Association.
- Diets high in dairy, wheat, refined sugars and excessive red meat: These foods can be difficult for the body to digest and promote the formation of a sticky mucus to buffer against irritation. This dense mucus can slow the bowels.
- Not enough liquids: Liquids add fluid to the colon and bulk to stools, making bowel movements softer and easier to pass. Most Americans do not drink the recommended 6-8 glasses of water per day. Instead, they consume sodas and other caffeinated drinks as well as alcoholic beverages, all of which exacerbate dehydration.
- Lack of physical activity:It is unclear precisely why, but long periods of physical inactivity can bring on constipation. Every year, there is a fresh survey that comes out that determines that Americans do not get enough exercise, adding to the constipation epidemic.
- Prescription medications:A number of pharmaceutical drugs such as pain medications, antidepressants and blood pressure medicines can cause constipation.
Chronic constipation can cause all sorts of health complications, from hemorrhoids to fecal impaction. Many people also experience related symptoms such as headaches and back pain, which accompany the constipation. None of this is pleasant, but from the standpoint of detoxification, constipation is one of the largest barriers to the efficient elimination of accumulated toxins. If stool sits inside the colon too long without being eliminated, the toxins contained within may be circulated back into the blood. Furthermore, stools that are held up from being eliminated may generate even more toxins. The bacteria implicated in constipation emit their own wastes, which must be eliminated. With chronic constipation, good bacteria may die off as harmful bacteria flourishes and their toxins may damage the colon, causing further stagnancy.
My number one favorite way to prevent and alleviate constipation is the Squatty Potty. It is a toilet stool (pun intended) that provides a stable platform to elevate the feet and legs, allowing greater hip flexion and straightening of the anorectal canal.
Using the Squatty Potty will…
- Reduce the risk of toxic build-up of fecal matter left in your colon;
- Reduce straining and decrease the pressure in the anal and rectal veins;
- Help to heal or prevent hemorrhoids;
- And make it easier for elimination and efficiency to empty the bowel.
Remember, it’s almost impossible to have beautiful skin all over your body if you are chronically constipated. For more information on this natural, effective remedy for constipation and maintaining optimal colon health, please click HERE. At their website, you can click listen to my audio broadcast on Colon Health & Detoxification: Getting in the Flow, or you can click HERE to listen now. To order the Squatty Potty, please call: 1-855-628-1099 MT. Their friendly team of experts will help you with all of your questions on the best one to get for you. My favorite Squatty Potty is their bamboo one pictured here on the left.
And my favorite herbal formula to help detoxify my colon (the the most popular one in my private practice) is by Nature's Wonderland and it's called Bowel Cleanser™. I take these easy-to-swallow capsules on a regular basis and recommend this stellar product to anyone who wants a gentle, safe, and effective cleanser. It flushes the colon of wastes and toxins and promotes bowel regularity. I wouldn't be without it, and I even take it every time I travel, too.
3. PROTECT FROM TOO MUCH SUN. Without the sun, there would be no life. Too much sun and there’s lifeless skin, which calls to mind the venerable adage, “everything in moderation.”
The sun does bring more people outdoors which means more exposure of the skin’s surface to the sun. What a paradoxical situation this can be. On one side of the coin, the sun is the body’s most effective/efficient and least expensive source of vitamin D, appropriately termed the “sunshine” vitamin because the action of the sun’s ultraviolet rays activates a form of cholesterol, which is present in the skin, converting it to vitamin D. Most of the body’s needs for vitamin D can be met by sufficient exposure to sunlight and from the eating of small amounts of food such as sunflower seeds, sprouted seeds, salmon, fish oils and so on. However, it’s always best to get the level checked with a blood test at your doctor’s office. I am out in the sunshine more than most people, living in sunny Los Angeles most of the year, and was quite surprised when I discovered my vitamin D level was way too low. So I now add a daily supplement of D-3 into my nutritional program.
On the other side of the coin, some people still believe that a golden tan is the mark of the leisure class, portraying health and beauty. The sun does have some beneficial effects such as clearing up acne, reducing psoriasis, boosting libido, relaxing tired muscles, and creating a positive psychological effect on people. Too much of this good thing, however, can be the skin’s worst enemy.
Over exposure to the sun can break down the collagen and elastin components of the skin, causing loss of moisture, flexibility and tautness. The best proof of this is to observe the skin after a few years of constantly maintaining a suntan. Make sure you use sunscreen protection when you’re outdoors for any length of time and take Hawaiian BioAstin Astaxanthin daily as internal sun protection. You’ll learn more about this below in tip #4 below. I'm also asked, quite often, what skin care products I use. Some of my favorites are on this natural beauty skincare products page.
4. EAT SKIN-ENHANCING FOODS. As I write about in my popular 3-book Blissful Living set all about culinary medicine, the top 100 superfoods, and how foods heal, the diet that promotes healthy skin should incorporate lots of fresh fruits and vegetables — these are all fiber-rich foods. Foods that are high in water content keep your body hydrated. The foods richest in water content can be found in the produce isles of your grocery store. Put simply, emphasize lots of colorful fresh fruits and veggies, and don’t skimp on leafy greens either, if you want to have youthful, healthy-looking skin. Click HERE for my Fountain of Youth Smoothie recipe. Make sure to consume lots of berries, apples, bell peppers, and cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, arugula (also known as rocket), and Brussels sprouts. These foods are high in nutrients beneficial for the skin (not to mention the immune system and entire body) and are also high in fiber which helps prevent constipation. Aim for 30 grams of fiber daily — which will benefit your skin and also cut your risk of getting breast cancer in half. Avoid constipation for this can cause blemishes and other skin disturbances. I write more about constipation and the importance of using the natural, effective Squatty Potty Toilet Stool in tip #4. Also, stay away from too much of the following foods as they sabotage healthy skin: fatty foods, sugar, soda pop, caffeine, junk foods, dairy products, alcohol, and too many animal products.
My favorite superfoods that will definitely bring a healthy glow to your skin are homegrown sprouts. I call them — Nature’s Little Miracles. You start with a small, dry, hard seed. Add warm air and a little water, and watch as new life emerges as if by magic from the dormant seed. Vibrant with life and bursting with energy, its tiny size belies the extraordinary activity that takes place while growing. In mere hours and at a cost to you of just pennies, its delicate shoot proceeds to provide the most vital food imaginable. To listen to my audio broadcast about Sprouts & How to Grow Them at Home, click HERE.
Want to grow sprouts in the corner of your kitchen and purchase the best organic sprouting seeds and sprouting supplies? Interested in losing weight, looking younger, improving the quality of your skin, and boosting your energy and joie de vivre? If you answered YES, then make friends with my favorite sprouting company Handy Pantry. Contact: 1-800-735-0630 (US & Canada) or 801-491-8700 (intl), or visit: HandyPantry.com. I use and recommend their 3-Tray Stackable Sprout Garden. With any purchase through this world renowned, family run company, they will give you a FREE copy of my popular e-Book — NATURE'S SUPERB SUPERFOODS: Lose Weight & Revitalize Your Body with Sprouts & Microgreens.
As a teenager, my grandmother taught me how to grow sprouts and incorporate them into my diet. To this day, I have sprouts growing in my kitchen including wheatgrass, which is very detoxifying and rejuvenating to the body. Growing sprouts doesn't take up too much space; some of my favorites include red clover, alfalfa, lentils, garbanzo beans, almonds, fenugreek, French blue lentils, green peas, bean salad sprouts mix, protein powerhouse mix, red lentil, sunflower seeds, wheatgrass, mung beans, and broccoli sprouts. Click HERE to learn a few of the reasons I enjoy growing sprouts and benefit from their superfood-ranking everyday. For detailed information on the ABCs of Growing Sprouts, please also refer to my full-color recipe and nutrition book RECIPES FOR HEALTH BLISS: Using NatureFoods & Lifestyle Choices to Rejuvenate Your Body & Life, which has over 150 color photographs. Regarding this book, author and publisher Louise Hay says: "It's the most beautiful health book on the planet." The chapter on sprouting includes a Sprouting Chart so, at-a-glance, you will know the soaking times and when to harvest your delicious, nutritious sprouts. Kids love to participate in the sprouting process. And it only takes a few minutes each week.
For more radiant, youthful skin no matter your age or gender, I encourage you to eat one cup of fresh, homegrown sprouts daily. You can add them to salads, sandwiches, and even blend them (such as red clover sprouts, sunflower seed sprouts, and alfalfa sprouts) in smoothies. You will see a difference in how you feel in three days. They will also immensely improve your digestion, help you sleep better, alkalize your blood, and detoxify your colon. Additionally, they are a dieter's best friend. They are chock full of fiber and nutrients with very few calories; they fill you up, bolster metabolism, beautify your skin, and rejuvenate your body from head to toe. Savor and enjoy these gems of nature.
5. KEEP YOUR BODY HYDRATED. Make sure you drink plenty of purified water every day—at least 6-8 large glasses, in-between meals. Water moisturizes your skin from the inside out and helps to eliminate toxins through the skin. If you’re not in the habit of drinking much water, try this experiment. During a three-day period, drink at least 8 glasses of purified water daily and by the third day, you’ll see a noticeable difference in your skin. It will be softer and look healthier. Lack of moisture in your skin creates wrinkles just like plums create prunes and grapes create raisins.
6. EXERCISE YOUR WAY TO RADIANCE. Exercise is also a natural and effective way to increase the health of the skin by increasing circulation, eliminating toxins through the skin and giving the skin that healthy glow. It supports all of your elimination mechanisms at the same time, You sweat and breathe more heavily and deeply. Blood and lymph circulation are improved. Exercise also stimulates the bowels to eliminate. Moreover, it burns calories and releases endorphins that make you feel better and stress less. The exercise must be aerobic or endurance-type activity which increases the heart rate and causes perspiration. After this type of exercise, such as brisk walking, jogging, cycling, hiking, swimming, or aerobic classes, the skin takes on a beautiful natural glow that no make-up artist could duplicate.
7. DE-STRESS WITH AN INFRARED SAUNA. For thousands of years, cultures throughout the world have enjoyed the many therapeutic benefits of saunas, from the elaborate bath/sauna/exercise complexes of the Romans, to the simple but effective “sweat lodge” structures of the Native American Indians and the Scandinavians.
Overheating with sauna stimulates and speeds up the metabolic processes and inhibits the growth of pathogenic bacteria or viruses. Many toxins, accumulated in the system as a result of metabolic wastes and sluggish elimination, are thrown out of the body with perspiration. The sauna increases the eliminative, detoxifying, and cleansing capacity of the skin by stimulating action on the sweat glands and creating a deep sweat that flushes the toxins.
An infrared sauna is the best kind for your body and skin. These saunas are the same saunas many doctors, physical therapists and professional athletes use to treat muscle injury, strains, as well as the heat used in hospitals to warm newborn babies. Unlike the old-technology saunas with their high air temperature, the infrared saunas warm the body muscles directly. It does this by only warming the air to a comfortable level, allowing for fresh air ventilation so people never get that feeling of suffocation. Because people are able to use this type of sauna for a longer time, they are able to reap greater benefits than through the high temperature saunas.
While I’ve taken saunas regularly for over three decades, it wasn’t until about 15 years ago that I took my first infrared sauna. After just three consecutive days of using this infrared sauna, I noticed such a wonderful, positive difference in the skin all over my body that I purchased one for my home immediately and have used it regularly ever since (it’s called a Thermal Life Infrared Sauna). On my website, under Favorite Products, you can find out more about this one I use and recommend. To call and inquire which one is best for your needs, or to order an infrared sauna, call: 800-792-5355 (US & Canada) or 303-413-8500 (Intl).
8. EXFOLIATE WITH DRY SKIN BRUSHING. Dry brushing the body with a natural bristle brush or loofah mitt each day before bathing is very beneficial for your skin. Not only does dry brushing improve the appearance of your skin giving you a healthy glow, but it also helps your body eliminate toxins. Furthermore, it helps in sloughing off the dead skin cells which lie on the skin’s surface. Dry brushing also greatly assists in the task of detoxification.
Look for a dry brush at your local health food store. Make sure it has natural bristles (as opposed to nylon or other synthetics) and a long handle so you can reach all those hard-to-get-places on your body. You want to start off very gently for the first couple weeks until your skin gets used to it.
Brush in circular motions, always moving toward the heart. If there are patches of eczema, skin eruptions, or any other skin condition, avoid brushing the affected areas. Also, avoid brushing the face. This process of dry brushing (do it before you shower or bathe) can be done daily and you’ll see and feel a difference before the first week is up.
My favorite dry skin brushes (for both body and face) are available through Bernard Jensen International, www.bernardjensen.com. I always purchase extra to keep some on hand to give as gifts. To order now, call: 1-888-743-1790 PT.
9. NOURISH WITH FLAXSEEDS. Dry skin is a sign (among others) that one is deficient in omega-3 fatty acids. Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are nutrients the body can’t synthesize; these must be supplied by the diet and are the basic building blocks of every cell in the body. The two EFAs are omega-3 (alpha-linolenic acid) and omega-6 (linoleic acid). And flaxseed, an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, may be one of nature’s greatest little health packages, especially when it comes to the skin.
For years, in my books, seminars, and workshops worldwide, I have recommended flaxseed for all types of skin disorders, including dry skin, dry and flaky scalp, and psoriasis. And I have also read countless letters from grateful people and seen the benefits firsthand with clients the efficacy of flaxseed on their skin and overall level of well-being.
Psoriasis, which afflicts over 5 million people in the United States, is a skin condition characterized by “deep pale, raised patches, covered by white scales,” according to the American Medical Association Family Medical Guide. The “approved” treatment for that consists of various ointments, including steroid preparations, which may damage the skin if used for any length of time.
The following letter from a mother in Iowa appeared in a recent issue of the National Psoriasis Foundation newsletter published in Portland:
“I am sending you information about flaxseed meal and psoriasis. My 11-year-old daughter had an outbreak of psoriasis that covered her body. The dermatologist even asked to take pictures. Now, her psoriasis is completely gone and has been for about five months. Her skin feels like silk and she hasn’t had one single spot even after she stopped sunbathing. She is taking no medical treatments at all. No creams, nothing, just freshly ground flaxseed daily. Believe me, I’m not on a mission to bring a negative light on conventional medical treatments or to suggest that they don’t work. I’m simply a mother who was desperate for help and found it in flaxseeds. I do know that the sunbathing helped my daughter’s psoriasis, but the reason I feel certain that the flax helped the most was because after she started taking flax, the psoriasis not only disappeared, but her skin was smoother and softer than it had even been before she has the outbreak.”
One tablespoon of the fiber-rich ground flaxseed powder added to your diet daily (on cereal, rice, soups, salads, or simply mixed in water) will moisturize your body from the inside out, help alleviate dry skin and psoriasis, and give you a healthy glow. You can purchase it already ground in the natural food stores, but I always recommend grinding it fresh yourself at home. Once a week, I make enough for about 7 days and store this freshly ground meal in a covered container in the refrigerator. It tastes better when it’s fresh and also costs much less to grind your own. Use a nut grinder — they don’t cost very much. You can also use it to grind almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, etc. See if you can purchase the flaxseeds in bulk at your local natural food store or online. I always purchase organically grown flaxseeds in both the brown and golden colors.
10. CATCH MORE ZZZZZs. Getting adequate rest and sleep is essential for cultivating and maintaining beautiful, youthful skin, detoxifying your body, shedding extra weight, keeping stress hormones at bay, boosting immunity, and so much more. Sleep is when most of the body’s “repair work” and maintenance are completed. In fact, I think that there’s nothing more restorative for our bodies than getting ample sleep, night after night after night. Research suggests that even one or two nights of sufficient sleep (experts recommend eight hours) can lower cortisol levels more than a number of other stress-management techniques combined. And remember that too much unmanaged stress negatively affects the quality of our skin. Granted, stress often interferes with sleep, but do your best to increase your chances of getting quality sleep by avoiding caffeine after noon, establishing a regular bedtime and wake-up time, and doing something relaxing in the hour before bedtime (no TV!). Here’s a great idea: Read from my new books Walking on Air: Your 30-Day Inside and Out Rejuvenation Makeover and The Joy Factor: 10 Sacred Practices for Radiant Health.
11. RELAX & RENEW THROUGH MEDITATION. Scientists are finding that meditation helps keep us wrinkle-free and healthy. That’s right! One study showed that people who had been meditating for more than five years were biologically 12 to 15 years younger than non-meditators. What’s more, a comparison of hospital records of 2,000 meditators and 2,000 non-meditators revealed that the meditators required only half as much medical care. They also had 87% less heart disease, 55% fewer tumors and 87% fewer nervous disorders.
As mentioned, there is a correlation between your level of stress and the health of your skin. At the University of Massachusetts Medical School, Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn founded the Stress Reduction Clinic to help people suffering from chronic pain and chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease, as well as stress-related disorders such as abdominal pain, chronic diarrhea and ulcers. According to this doctor, these conditions are often the most difficult to treat, and patients afflicted with them have frequently tried other, more conventional forms of medicine without complete success. So he designed a stress-reduction program to test the value of using meditation to help patients develop effective coping strategies for stress, and to see whether meditation would have any effect on their chronic medical condition. As it turned out, the majority of people improved in a number of different ways.
He learned that meditation can:
- Decrease pain
- Reduce secretion of stress hormones, including adrenaline and noradrenaline
- Decrease the amount of excess stomach acid in people with gastrointestinal problems
- Lower blood pressure
- Increase relaxation
To learn more information on how to begin a meditation program or how to upgrade an existing program, please refer to my audio books Wired to Meditate and Choose to Live Peacefully, both available separately or as a collection set at a discount for a limited time (entitled The Calm, Cool & Collected Package) from my online Store.
12. LEAD A JOY-FILLED LIFE. It may seem cliché to "stop and smell the roses" more, but research demonstrates time and again that simple pleasures can decrease our stress considerably and bring a youthful vitality. Unmanaged stress increases free radicals in your body, including in your skin, which then increases wrinkles and exacerbates photoaging. As I write about in my new books The Joy Factor: 10 Sacred Practices for Radiant Health and Walking on Air: Your 30 Day, Inside and Out, Rejuvenation Makeover, reveling in life’s simple pleasures at least once a day will not only keep stress and wrinkles at bay, but will also will enrich your life immeasurably. Indulge in a relaxing hot bath – researchers found that among high-stress people, hot baths reduced cortisol levels. Go ahead and get away for that long weekend. One study showed that after a three-day, two-night weekend away, subjects had a decrease in cortisol and overall stress markers and a boost in immune system function. Other studies reveal that spending time outdoors in nature will do wonders for your attitude and your skin. You see, in nature you are breathing in the health-enhancing negative ions and these ions boost your spirit, make you feel happier, lower your heart rate, and give you a sense of overall well-being. Enjoying time outside in nature goes hand-in-hand with breathing deeply, too. Both will help bring a renewed glow to your skin.
Spend time with your pets – "dog therapy" has proven to reduce cortisol levels. Simply petting a dog or a cat lowers the pulse, blood pressure and breathing rate. Listen to your favorite (preferably relaxing) music. Music, especially after a stressful event, has been shown to increase the relaxation response; decrease heart rate, blood pressure and cortisol levels; and increase immunity. Finally, don't forget to laugh. Research shows that laughter improves mood after high levels of daily stress and even boosts immunity. When you put on a “happy face,” your skin takes on a youthful glow.
So there you have it. The twelve key ingredients to having healthy skin. You may wonder how to incorporate all this into your health and beauty program. Well, it really doesn’t take that much time, and besides, what’s more important than being radiantly healthy and feeling good about yourself? My daily morning health and beauty regimen upon arising is to drink two large glasses of water with freshly ground flaxseed meal, eat some fresh fruit before any other breakfast food, exercise, do my dry skin brushing, take a sauna (time permitting), shower, and always taking daily supplements of Hawaiian Astaxanthin & Hawaiian Spirulina. (Remember that you'll get 25% off and a FREE e-Book — The Curative Kitchen —with each purchase when you use the code VIBRANT. Refer to #3 above for the telephone number to use when ordering these products.)
Give Your Self-Esteem Wings & Fly
13. ILLUMINATE FROM THE INSIDE OUT WITH A BONUS TIP. I have the privilege of working with people of all ages — all over the world in my workshops, seminars, and retreats. Some of the most popular topics I'm asked to discuss include self-esteem, self-image, body-image, depression, happiness, weight loss, empowerment, and how to achieve goals. Briefly, here's what I often share with people.
On a universal level, I believe the thing that people wrestle with most in their own lives is low self-esteem. When you embrace high self-esteem and live from an empowered presence, you will be successful in all areas of your life. It’s an inner change that needs to be made. Look at magazine ads, television commercials, or makeover reality shows; either by innuendo or by outright declaration, they are almost all aimed at changing who we are, making us somehow better—smarter, more attractive, slimmer, richer, younger, and more secure. You can spend millions of dollars changing your physical features and getting all kinds of cosmetic surgery, but that will do little good until you change your attitude about yourself and cultivate a relationship with yourself that incorporates your very own divinity and sacredness. When you do that, chances are you’ll be happy with the physical body that God provided for you, and you will establish a salutary health, fitness, and beauty program to keep your body temple functioning optimally. Since I was a teenager, I've always felt the most beautiful, healthy, and happy when I'm spending quality time out in nature. It's also where I feel the most connected to my sacred, inner self and Love that fuels our Mother Earth, gives us life, and connects us all to one other. At the level of the heart, we're all one.
We must choose to be kind and loving toward ourselves—all the time. Self-image is crucial here. Being vibrantly healthy, living fully, and celebrating life starts with celebrating ourselves. Whether we succeed or fail, enjoy our lives or struggle, depends largely on our self-image. In fact, numerous studies have concluded that the view we have of ourselves is the key to taking control of our lives. Develop a loving, kind relationship, a warm friendship with yourself. Be your own best friend. Out of that friendship all your other relationships form. Stop being so critical, judgmental, and unforgiving of yourself. When you are not feeling good about yourself, you feel separated from others and God. When you see yourself as a failure, you create a self-fulfilling prophecy. You attract to yourself that which you believe you deserve. Your negative thoughts and attitudes about yourself, whether they originated within yourself or others, convince you of your inability to succeed. If you feel you don’t deserve success, prosperity, an enjoyable life, happy relationships, or joy and peace, you will settle for less than that to which you are entitled. When you feel unworthy, you cut yourself off from the fullness of life and create more stress.
Put simply, when you learn to love yourself and take loving care of yourself, love will come to you in the forms of happiness, health, success, prosperity, peace, joy, balance, radiance, and beauty. So there you have it — my best tips for youthful, glowing skin and high self-esteem at any age. Do your best. Show by your daily actions that your skin, health, beauty program, as well as the quality of your life, are your top priorities. True natural beauty flows from the inside out. Beautiful positive thoughts illuminate our essence and brighten our smiles. Everyone is beautiful. You are magnificent right now. YOU are beautiful. There's beauty in every size, every shape, and every color. We can all support and enhance this beauty by honoring ourselves and doing the things that make us feel great about ourselves.
And to help you reconnect with and harness your natural beauty, here's one of the most popular collection sets in my online Store. It incorporates these topics on how to boost self-esteem and self-worth, say goodbye to depression, reignite a joie de vivre, look years younger, shed extra weight and keep it off, live with balance, feel more empowered, and create an amazing, successful life. Entitled SLENDER, SAVVY & STRONG • PEACEFUL, PURPOSEFUL & PROSPEROUS, it's now available at a substantial discount, for a limited time.
To receive my monthly Healthy Living Newsletters (FREE) before the general public sees them, please click HERE. It takes about 10 seconds to sign-up for these informative bulletins, and as a thank-you, you'll receive a "gift package" and also be automatically entered into a weekly drawing to win a free 90-minute consultation with me.